Ask Siena Tavern Owner Fabio Viviani how one of his mother’s favorite recipes got its rather unique moniker, Pissed Off Eggs, and he’ll tell you: “My grandma loved the dish but hated the heat, so my mom made it in one clay pot for everyone and tried to leave a corner without hot pepper for her. But when the sauce boiled the spice got everywhere, and Grandma got really pissed.”
Mom Renza Talanti’s Pissed Off Eggs is among the more than 150 recipes in his new cookbook – Fabio’s Italian Kitchen (Hyperion, $24.99). You must pick up the book to see these creative recipes, but Chef Viviani was kind enough to share just one right here on TCW. Here’s how to make Pissed Off Eggs…
- 2 cups Fabio’s Tomato Sauce (see recipe on page 18 of the book)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 fresh hot red chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil and extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 10–12 basil leaves
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Put the tomato sauce, crushed garlic, and sliced peppers in an oven-safe pan.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and top with the red onion and garlic. Cover with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the pan under the broiler for 5–10 min, or until the cheese is golden brown and the eggs are cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and use a spoon to push the basil leaves under the eggs, helping to separate the eggs from the pan. Drizzle again with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Serve with crusty bread.