I love to eat real food! I am always in a hurry in the morning, and I want to eat healthy. But I really really don’t like protein bars.
After reading through a few popular diet/health books such as The Dukan Diet and The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, I came up with an idea to create healthy egg white, non-dairy, loaded-with-protein breakfast squares. I can make a whole pan of squares at once, put them in individual zip-lock bags, and eat them like a protein bar in the morning—except it’s tastier and more satisfactory than having a protein bar.
This easy recipe is great for either breakfast or lunch. You can just reheat in the microwave or eat it cold. This recipe is also great for using up leftovers!
• 1-1/2 cups of Canadian bacon
• 1/4 cup diced onion
• Two dozen egg whites
• 1 cup any kind of vegetables
• 1 can of black beans
• 1 can of lentils
• Pepper to taste (Salt is not necessary; the Canadian bacon has enough salt)
• Fresh basil and parsley, or any other fresh herbs you desire
• Fresh garlic or garlic powder
• Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F.
• Cook the Canadian bacon, onion and fresh garlic or garlic powder in a skillet over medium heat until the Canadian bacon has browned (about 10 minutes).
• Spray a baking pan with olive oil spray.
• Whisk together the eggs and pepper. Sprinkle the Canadian bacon with other vegetables and beans in the baking pan, then pour the egg mixture over the top.
• Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean (about 30 to 45 minutes depending on what kind of vegetables you add to the mix). The black beans and lentils sink to the bottom of the pan, so it keeps the form solid.
• Cut into wedges to serve; or after it is cooled, cut them in squares and put them in individual zip-lock bags in the refrigerator.
Enjoy and bon appétit!
Servings Per Recipe: 6