Cold and flu season definitely has arrived. I’m starting to see coughs and sniffles here and there. I think this is a good time to emphasize how you can stay healthy this flu season. Here are some simple things you can do to prevent and protect!
- Wash hands. This most common-sense practice is one of the most effective ways to minimize exposure to germs. Make it your routine to wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
- Drink plenty of fluids and use humidifier. With dry heat blasting to keep us warm, it’s crucial to stay hydrated. Studies show that our cells do not properly function without water (which makes sense when our body is made up of more than 60 percent water).
- Sleep. We all know how we feel when we do not get adequate amounts of quality sleep. Our energy levels decrease and performance becomes sluggish. A recent study showed that lack of sleep is disruptive to our immune system.
- Moderate stress. Numerous studies show that stress decreases immune system functions and can make you prone to infection. Give yourself a little downtime to listen to your favorite music, make your favorite meal or simply go for a short walk.
- Exercise regularly. Getting your blood flow going will help to boost the immune system. Daily walks, jogs or maybe trying out the newest, hippest workout class would be great.
- Eat well. Warm, nourishing foods are good in the cold weather. A good soup or stew or foods high in zinc, such as oysters, can help you to fend off cold and flu. Garlic is a great herb to add in ample amounts to many of your dishes: The allicin in garlic helps to boost the immune system.
- Try acupuncture. I highly recommend this as it is shown to boost your immune system and have your Qi-energy in check, free of ‘stagnation.’ This is definitely my go-to strategy for staying healthy!
- Have sex. Study shows having sex one to two times a week can boost your immune system…now there’s a thought for tonight!
With a few known remedies and routine add-ins, we can certainly beat this cold and flu season. Stay healthy and be well! At the Tiffani Kim Institute, we offer flu shots and Vitamin B shots every day. It’s best to be proactive and prevent so you can enjoy the winter season. Call 312-260-9088 and make an appointment.