Getting your kids ready for school is no easy task. Right now, with school just starting, it will take a little while to get into the groove of making lunches and being sure homework makes it into the book bag. Not to mention getting your kids to eat breakfast while still having time to brush your own teeth — let alone fix your hair!
Maria Paonessa, mother of five and co-owner of Compagnia della Bellezza hair salon in Old Town, knows the feeling. She knows what its like to be in such a time crunch, all you feel like doing is putting on a hat and running out the door. “Believe me, a few simple tricks and you’ll be looking your best all the time. And trust me, you never seem to have enough time for yourself, so if you can master a few simple techniques you’ll be all set,” says Ms. Paonessa. “You really need to make sure you have some basic supplies, and stick to what looks best for your facial shape and size,” says Paolo Bivona, Paonessa’s business partner. He suggests a low pony, with a little hair falling out around your face, to give a lift near the jawline.
Some additional tips from Ms. Paonessa and Mr. Bivona:
1. Lighten Locks Instantly: If scalp grease (or too many products) have left your light hair looking like dirty dishwater, sprinkle translucent powder over roots and brush through.
2. Depuff Your ‘Do in a Flash: To flatten frizz, dampen hands with water and a drop of hand lotion. Then, gently pull hair back into a French twist. Wait 10 minutes, and take your strands down. Voilà — fuzz free!
3. Focus on the Front: When you’re strapped for time, do the T-zone blow-dry — only dry around the hairline and part. “As long as the front and top of your hair looks finished,” says Mr. Bivona, “so will you.”
4. Pull It Together with a Ponytail: There’s nothing wrong with resorting to a ponytail — after all, it’s the ultimate easy style. Pull hair back haphazardly with your fingers and spritz with hairspray. Twist a stray tendril around your hair elastic and pin.
5. Find Out What Style and Color Are Right for You: You can look years younger, and more polished, if hair color and skin tone compliment each other.
Products you already have for achieving great, quick looks:
- Sunscreen (adds volume, protects color)
- Baby powder
- Ponytail holder or rubber band
- Bobby pins
Tools for achieving great, quick looks:
- 1-inch flat iron
- Teasing comb
- Medium round brush
Pro recommended products for purchase:
- Brocato Big Easy dry shampoo
- Brocato Back to the Beach spray texturizer
- Brocato Kurl Karma for Curly hair
- Brocato Kurl Interrupted for smoothing
- Brocato Actives for anti frizz and hair spray
For appointments, contact the salon directly at 312-944-6747 Tuesday-Saturday.