With so many choices for today’s Taste of Chicago visitor, we wanted to talk to some of the newcomers to see what they’re about and what they’ll serve. Each is one you simply can’t miss…
Lawrence’s Fisheries | 2120 S. Canal Street
- When will they be there? Wednesday, July 9 through Sunday, July 13
- What are they serving? Some favorites, as well as some dishes that are for the more adventurous foodies. On the menu: Lawrence’s fried shrimp, cocktail shrimp, fish chips and, for the daring, frog legs.
- Factoid: Lawrence’s Fisheries has been a family business since the day they opened in 1950. Currently, it is fourth generation family owned. You would think that after so many years, Lawrence’s Fisheries would already be a staple at the Taste. However, the restaurant’s first time. Lee Griffin, social media and marketing team member of Lawrence’s Fisheries, explained what took them so long, saying that the manager, Dan Griffin, was the one that led the charge to the Taste. Staffing capabilities are up to par for the Taste and all of the supervisors are looking forward to sharing their delicious seafood in a different venue.
Sol de Mexico | 3018 N. Cicero Avenue
- When will they be there? Friday, July 11 and Saturday, July 12
- What are they serving? Sol de Mexico is bringing the delicious flavors of Mexico, serving three items that best showcase what the restaurant has to offer. The first is for those that love a little spice in their life: crispy chicken taquitos with hand-shredded chicken, poblano peppers topped with tomatillo salsa, sour cream and queso fresco. Second: a chicken taco on a soft homemade tortilla, served with rice and topped with the ever-popular red mole sauce. Lastly, if you are looking for a vegetarian option, there’s a mushroom taco with creamy chipotle sauce.
- Factoid: Sol de Mexico wants to spread their love of molé with the world. Never tasted it before? Then head over to Sol de Mexico’s booth to try some, be it red, green, black or brown. ¡Olé!
Starfruit Café | 745 West Division Street; 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 238; 108 North State State Street, Block 37 – Pedway Level
- When will they be there?
- What are they serving? Starfruit Café has a lot of flavors of kefir, but unfortunately their truck can only hold so many! So at the Taste, you can try two flavors of frozen kefir – Original and Mango. And you can choose several toppings, including fresh blueberries and granola. Alongside the two frozen kefir flavors, you can try 16-ounce Raspberry Blueberry and Strawberry Banana smoothies. The drinks are made with fresh fruit and kefir.
- Factoid: Starfruit Café’s food truck isn’t just for the Taste. It roams the Chicago streets and you can follow where they will be on Twitter (@StarfruitCafe). And when it comes to the food, it’s time for you to open your eyes to frozen kefir! Yogurt boasts having two to three probiotics, while Kefir contains 10 live and active probiotic cultures. Kefir is a guilt-free, tasty dessert that doubles as a superfood. It’s lactose-free, gluten-free, high in protein, and doesn’t contain any artificial coloring or flavoring. Who doesn’t love a sweet treat that they can feel good about eating?
By Lauren Dwyer