For cold weather regions like Chicago, Christmas time is like a little inn in a snowy forest – a winterproof haven that radiates warmth and light and beckons winter-weary travelers to rest their heads before carrying on with their journeys. January and February are the long road ahead. They are the blustery, bone-cold, bleak days that seem to continue indefinitely, one after another, like an indefatigable army.
Here’s a survival secret: during the long winter stretch post-holidays, your strategy of at-home loungewear can be the very thing that keeps your spirit from breaking under the weight of all those snowflakes and plunging temperatures. Your drawer of cozy, cuddly, comfy sleep and loungewear is your best respite from the cold. It’s your chicken soup for the soul.
As you gear up to face the long road, take inventory of your comfy clothes and fortify the collection if need be. Now’s the perfect time as everything is on after-Christmas sale. Here are my recommendations for the essential winter-survival sleep and loungewear assortment:
1. Thermal Pajama Sets: I love the happy colors and waffle texture of the Victoria’s Secret Fireside Long Jane Pajama, now on sale for $29.99. Can’t beat Target’s Warm Essentials Waffle Leggings, $9.99, and Top, $9.99.
2. Flannel Robe: Short of a snuggie, wrapping yourself up in soft flannel is pretty much the best antidote to winter blues. I love J. Crew’s Robe in Bright Cerise Plaid Flannel on sale for $59.99.
3. Terry Sweatpants: A terry sweatpant is a great all-around bottom to wear at home. It’s also generic-looking enough to wear out in public for your late night grocery run or dash to pick up the day’s mail. I love the leg-kissing slim shape that has become widely available from both cheapie retailers and high-end designers. It’s flattering and cozy, and tucks into boots easily if you need to run out – much more put together than the baggy sweatpants of the 90’s. I like Alexander Wang’s French Terry Sweatpant for $195, Gap Body’s Marled Legging for $44.95, and Phillip Lim for Target’s version for $14.98.
4. Cashmere Wraps: A luxe piece for the end of a long day. Sometimes we all need a little swaddling. Club Monaco always offers a stable of wraps. Among them, I love the soft color-blocking of the Cecile Wrap, $198.50. Or, a chunkier cable version from White + Warren is a nice textured option for $195.
5. Silk Set: Don’t lose touch with your flirty side. The second-skin softness of silk is the perfect under-layer to a fluffy robe. Go with the more contemporary short-based set (and you’ll be able to wear it year-round). I love the Bardot Short PJ Set from Journelle for $140 or Equipment’s Lilian Washed-Silk PJ Set for $300.